Wednesday 4 March 2009

Derren Brown on scepticism

I've been a huge fan of Derren Brown since he first appeared on Channel 4 with a series of specials showcasing some of his excellent mentalism effects. His talent for the requisite skills of his art are perfectly set off by his magicians' persona, which artfully flits between the dramatic, the ironically smug and the genuinely humble.

My appreciation for his magic acts formed before my implicit, background belief in God was rejected and long before I had any concept of what has become known (in America, at least) as the sceptic (well, skeptic) movement. Therefore, I was pleased to discover when I read his book, Tricks of the Mind, that Derren Brown's views matched my own newly formed scepticism.

In a recent post on his blog, Derren excellently discribes his positions on religion, alternative medicine and belief in general. It's worth a read, because he's a very engaging writer, and if you enjoy the post, I'd certainly recommend his book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make any comments constructive and interesting. Spam and abuse will be removed.